Need an idea for a name for your baby boy or girl? Confused about the perfect name that your child will be proud of? Then, let us consider some important points on how to choose one:
- Decide first whether you want a modern or traditional name for your child. You need to think of various options. Some may consider a name that will stand out from others because of its uniqueness, yet there are people who want a flashy and pretty name that is currently in vogue.
- Make a list of names that you love. You can do this along with your partner. The list can include names of characters or icons that you have always admired or that have a special meaning associated with them. Make sure you strike off all the names that either you or your partner do not agree upon. The name finally chosen should be pretty and suitable for the both of you.
- Consider your family naming traditions. There are families that follow certain naming traditions, such as naming a child after the father or a particular scheme liking using a specific letter to start the name with. You may want to take that into account when naming your child. Irrespective of the tradition that you chose, your child should feel unique.
- Ignore all naming rules. Yes, just ingnore these! When it comes to naming your child, it should be you and your partner who need to decide on the name and not take into consideration what others may think of the name. If you think that an offbeat, but unique name will be better for your child, go ahead and choose it.
- Carefully consider names that are associated with religious beliefs. Naming your child after a preferred religious belief is not bad. However, keep in mind that when the child grows up, the name may not suit his nature or lifestyle the way you thought it would. Then, it sounds like a mismatch with his identity.
- Don’t choose a cute name, especially for a boy. The name is with your child for life, hink about it when your baby grows up. Would you, as a grown up, be happy with that pretty name?
Some tips and tricks for finding a name for your girl or boy:
- Don’t make the final decision on the name until your baby is born. Once the kid is born, you may find a better idea of a name just by looking into her eyes. Is she really a Mary or a Teresa?
- At times consider the opinion of a person who knows you a little less than your mom or husband. Let your sister or friend confirm your reservations about a certain choice of name you already had in mind
- Host a child naming party. This is another fun way of doing it. Let your friends and family members pour in with their suggestions. You can then decide on the final name along with your partner.
- Do not consider the checklist and go for so called “perfect” names. Go for a name that makes your smile every time when you spell it.
- Consult naming experts. There are people who are paid to decide on a name that will perfect suit your child. You can consult one of them and get rid of the stress of naming your child.
Choosing a Trendy Or Traditional Name?
Choosing a name for your loved one can definitely be the most interesting and exciting moment for you because it is this name which will be there with your baby throughout his lifetime. Here are a few other things which you should keep in mind while choosing a name for your baby:
Take Your Time
The worst thing a parent can do while choosing a name for the baby is to rush into it. Choosing the second best can produce drastic effects and may affect your baby for lifetime. Don’t settle for anything less, analyze all the name ideas, and keep looking for the right match until you are 110% happy and content with it.
What Does It Mean?
Most of the parents does not really care about the meaning of the name while others consider the meaning to be an important factor. In my opinion a quick check won’t hurt you much and will help you take a right decision. After all, you don’t want a strong boy with a name that means “pretty flower”.
While choosing a name, you should make sure to choose a name that does not end with the similar alphabet that you last name starts with. This can pose a great problem in pronunciation and writing. Also, try to avoid the letters like “I” and “U”. Also try using the names which are easy to spell as it can avoid great confusions in the future.
Say It Loud
Instead of calling your new born as “baby” or he – she, try using the names which you like and say them aloud in public. This will give you a better idea about the pronunciation and will help you to realize how much you like it. Some names look beautiful on paper but in reality they may sound terrible and awful.
Initials, Nicknames And Middle Names
There have been some blunders and embarrassing mistakes in the past when it comes to choosing the right baby name. It is highly important to keep in mind the initials and the middle name as they can influence your baby’s future to a great extend. One such classic example is “I P Daily” which doesn’t sound right when abbreviated. Another factor to keep in mind is the nickname which can be derived by the original. You may like the sound of Robert but the nickname Robby or Rob is not so appealing. Also, if you plan to name your kid after yourself or your partner, then you may end up calling him or her by the middle name. This means you need to be careful while choosing the name to avoid confusion and loss of identity.
Above all these tips, you should just keep in mind two simple things. Firstly, choose a name that you think your baby boy or girl would love. Secondly, choose the name in such a way that both the parents are 100% happy and satisfied.